It has been eight years since the enactment of Singapore’s comprehensive data protection law, the Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (PDPA).
On May 14, 2020, a public consultation paper and accompanying Personal Data Protection (Amendment) Bill (Amendment Bill) were published, to solicit feedback on several proposed revisions to the PDPA.
The proposed changes are significant. Key amendments include:
- Increased financial penalties for contraventions of the PDPA
- Mandatory data breach notification
- Revised consent framework
- New data portability obligation
- Enhanced rules on telemarketing and spam