Following a data breach, it is the responsibility of the general counsel and in-house legal department to quickly assess the situation and immediately provide a coherent and thoughtful initial report to the CEO. The following nine steps should be able to help prepare an effective briefing in about 30 minutes and get through a computer intrusion smoothly.
- Call outside cybersecurity counsel
- Direct IT staff to freeze all internal audit trails – including vendor traffic
- Convene a meeting of the Incident Response Team within one hour
- Advise CFO
- Decide whether to contact law enforcement or not
- Check insurance coverage
- Start calculating your intrusion cost tab
- Contact CEO
Click here to read the issued Client Alert, which will take a deeper dive into the process of these steps.